I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Misc End of Summer Fun!

We did so many fun things at the end of summer this year, and since I am getting behind on this blog, I am lumping them all into one gigantic post!
The library hosted a Harry Potter birthday party at the end of July. Kaden dressed as Hagrid (and won 3rd place in the costume contest), Aubree was Ginny Weasley, Tyson was Voldemort, and Brennen was the Troll (his costume consisted of carrying a club)

We did sparklers for UBIC while we waited for fireworks to start. We are so lucky to be able to see the fireworks from our backyard.




Bruce and I ran the 5k for UBIC this year. We also ran the school district's back to school 5k.

The youth of our ward went rafting on the Green River and they invited the 11 year olds to go. Aubree had such a great time with her dad!

Aubree is on the front right of the boat.

The Saturday before school started we went to the Vernal rec center and went swimming. They have a really awesome indoor pool!
Cambree loved going down this little red slide.

Aubree playing in the water features.

Brennen took the time to stop and pose. I love that he isn't afraid to get in the water this year.

Tyson finally was brave enough to try the water slides. After that, we couldn't get him off!

They had a obstacle course set up in the lap pool. Kaden had a lot of fun with that.

Bruce wanted to do the climbing wall after we were done swimming.

Then Aubree surprised us by wanting to try it too! She made it all the way up and rang the bell! I was so proud of her! She is growing up so fast!

I am so grateful for the time we spent together this summer. My kids are growing up so fast and I feel like every moment I get with them is precious. I am so grateful that they still like to do things as a family and for the bonds that it builds. I was listening to a talk today about a mother who felt like it was so important for her to help her children build relationships with each other, because those are the relationships that will be the longest in this life. Even when we are gone, our children will have each other. That really hit me and I want to make that a priority to help them to learn to love each other and enjoy being together!

1 comment:

  1. Love the update!!!! Thanks for sharing your end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete