I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Salt Lake Vacation Day 2

Wednesday we went to the Zoo in the morning. I LOVE the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake. I think it really takes me back to my childhood. Plus I think it is just the perfect size, not too big, not too small. It is so fun to see things through my kid's eyes too. They loved the Madagascar exhibit and seeing the foosa. The orangutans were a big hit, because they were really active that morning and it was fun watching them swing through the trees. We went to the bird show and before it started they were asking the audience all these questions about birds. There was a guy behind the wall holding up the answers so the kids would know. Well Aubree got to answer one of the questions, (which surprised me that she would let a lady with a cockatoo on her shoulder that close to her) and won a free train ride!

We always have to get our picture taken with the gorilla statue. Brennen and Tyson were fighting over who got to sit in the gorilla's lap, thus the sour faces.

Kaden and Tyson at the Asian highland exhibit. So much better than the old cages they had for the big cats. They were actually fighting in this picture too, but the pic turned out good!

A favorite new attraction this year was the conservation carousel. I thought $2 was pretty steep for a 5 minute ride, but the kids had a good time!

For about a week, Brennen had been excited to go to the zoo to see the Elephants. He looks pretty pumped huh!

We also went to the This is the place Park across the street. I don't have any pictures of that because right before we boarded the train I dropped the camera and broke it. We had to run to Wal Mart that night and buy a new one to finish out the trip. The kids really liked the park though and had fun riding the "train" around the park. Kaden loved seeing all the people dressed as pioneers. With their admission, they got to choose 3 activities to do, so they did leather working and made little key chains, took a pony ride, and made Native American arrowhead necklaces. We also got to see the new Emery County cabin at the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment