I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Harry Potter Party

I love planning parties for my kids! I get such a thrill from making these fun memories for them. My mom used to do the coolest parties for us, so I guess I am carrying on the tradition for my own kids. Aubree turned 11 this year so this was her last party she gets to have, so we went all out!!!! We have Harry Potter fever at our house, both she and I love the books, so we decided to do a Harry Potter party. She invited 5 girls, plus she and her brothers. As he guests arrived, they took the sorting quiz! I used the one found on the Scholastic website, just typed up and printed out.

I dressed as Professor McGonagall and took them through the process of being new students at Hogwarts. Our first stop was Madam Malkims Robe Shoppe. I made each of them a "house Scarf" made from black felt. Here is Aubree getting "fitted".

The Next stop was Ollivander's for their wands. These were made from wooden dowels, spray painted gold and wrapped with electrical tape at the bottom. I told them that the wand will choose them, so they had to try them out until they found the one that felt right.

Next we had to go through the barrier to Platform 9 3/4. I hung a sheet in the doorway that they had to go through and then down the stairs to Hogwarts.

When we got to "Hogwarts" we had a sorting ceremony. The house they were put into was based on the quiz that they took earlier. After they were sorted I gave them a pin of their house to put on their scarf.

We then had all our classes at Hogwarts (Due to an unfortunate accident involving a troll, Professor Snape was unable to teach Potions. We were going to make silly putty, but I ran out of time and didn't get it put together.) First we had History of magic. We played a matching game involving all the key characters from the first book and what their significance was.

Next was Charms class. We were practicing the Stupefy charm. I played some Harry Potter music, and when the person practicing the charm yelled "Stupefy!" the music would stop and everyone had to freeze.

In Transfiguraion class, everyone was "transfigured" into someone from the book and they had to ask questions to figure out who they were.
For Defense Against the Dark Arts, we had a dementor piniata that they had to yell "Expecto Patronus" as they hit the piniata and try to destroy the Dementor. Inside the Dementor were gold galleons that they got to use later.
For Herbology, we played herbology bingo that was put together by a friend of mine for another Potter Party.
Then we had our Great Feast! We just had Chicken Nuggets and Fries and a Vegetable Tray, but I bought IBC Root Beer and Cream Soda and labeled them as "Butter Beer" The girls thought that was Awesome!!!!

For dessert, we had the cake that Hagrid baked for Harry on his 11th birthday in the 1st book.

When the party was over, we took a trip to Honeydukes Sweet Shop. Here the kids used their Galleons to buy Caldron Cakes, Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Fizzing Whizby's, Acid Pops, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum, Chocolate Frogs, and Licorice Wands. This is what was most time comsuming, was making the labels and labeling all the treats. But it was worth it because the girls were mezmorized.
It was a fun memorable night!

4 comments:

  1. I nominate you for the "Coolest Mom EVER" Award. I had fun just reading all the cool ideas you had for the party. THanks for taking the time to make such an awesome party. I"m sure the girls loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome party. Thanks so much for sharing. I too will be throwing a Harry Potter Party for my son in May. I would love a copy of the Bingo game or any other samples of the games that you played. You can email me at: parkermarn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps, that is: parkmarn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete