I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Saturday, May 2, 2009

11 Years!

Bruce and I celebrated our 11th anniversary yesterday. It's crazy to think it's been that long, but I can't imagine life without him either. I wanted to post some old pictures from our wedding, but I can't figure out how to get my scanner to work on this new computer. So I will just tell a brief version of our story.
We met while in the same singles ward at SUU in Cedar City. We actually met at Ward council meeting. Bruce was the Elder's Quorum president of our ward, and I was in the Relief Society Presidency and had to fill in for the president who was out of town. There was a girl's choice dance coming up at the institute, and all my roommates were bugging me to get a date and go with them. I wasn't much interested in dating because I was waiting for a missionary. The next night at family home evening, they were bugging me a gain and one of the guys in our group said that Bruce didn't have a date and then dared me to ask him. Who can turn down a dare? So I called and asked him out. I had a lot of fun with him, but he never ever called or asked me out again, so I just figured that was that. Well a few months later, some girls from our LDS sorority, got together and were setting each other up on blind dates for a big group date we wanted to do, so I set Bruce up with one of my friends and I got set up with someone else. Bruce and I ended up spending the whole night talking to each other and we really connected. After that we started dating and became pretty close. A few weeks after that was Christmas vacation. Bruce had to work for most of the break, so he decided not to go home. Well my mom felt bad for him and invited him up for Christmas Eve and Christmas day with my family. So he came to Orangeville and met the fam.
We dating pretty seriously after that. After seeing him with my family, I knew he was the man I wanted to marry. On January 30, 1998 he asked me to marry him and I said yes. It was hard to Dear John my missionaries, but I knew that I was making the right decision. We were married May 1st 1998.
Marrying Bruce was probably the best thing I have ever done in my life. I definitely married above myself. He is my best friend in the whole world and I love him so much. We have been through some trials in our marriage, as everyone has, but they have only made us stronger. I am so grateful everyday to have him on my life, and here is hoping the next 11 years will be even better!

1 comment:

  1. I love the family picture and I'm so jealous that you got to go on a cruise....lucky duck.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete