I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Camping at Uintah Canyon

The last weekend of July, we actually had a free weekend, so we decided to take the kids to Uintah Canyon for a quick camping trip. We had a super time, so I'm glad we squeezed in one last camping trip of the summer. The best part for me is no cell phone reception, so we get our dad all to ourselves for a few days!
Brennen and Cambree discovered this little cupboard under the bed not long after we set the trailer up, and it became their little "clubhouse". It also made them filthy because it is where we put the fire wood when we pack the trailer. Oh well, part of being a kid.

One of our favorite parts of camping is hiking. We don't take insane long hikes, for obvious reasons, but we enjoy exploring this beautiful place where we live.

We actually hiked part of the King's Peak trail. King's peak is the highest peak in Utah, and it is right in our backyard. We hiked about a mile and a half up it. Someday when the kids are older, maybe we will hike to the top!

We take a lot of water and rest breaks. Sometimes I think it drives Bruce crazy, but long hikes are hard on little legs!

Brennen has a crazy thing about bridges. He loves them! So we have to cross every bridge we see. (and doesn't my husband look hot with the baby backpack? I think so!)

Our other favorite thing about camping is throwing rocks in the river. Don't ask me, it is a little strange, but it is something we started with Aubree and Kaden, and they can't seem to get enough of it. Even the big kids!
Aubree taking a photo break. As girlie as she is, she still loves playing in the mud!

Brennen with a stick. Dad taught them a new game to launch a stick in the water and then try to "bomb" the stick with the rocks. Hours of entertainment, I tell you!

Cambree had to be where ever her sis was!

Classic Kaden face! What a character!

In Tyson's mind, the bigger the rock, the better!

As I sat next to my husband that day by the river and watched my kids find so much joy in these simple little things, I couldn't help but to thank my Father in Heaven for all these blessings in my life. I thought to myself that this is what life is really all about, these simple moments that remind me how much I have to be thankful for and what a blessing my family is!

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE reading your blog Amy, b/c it is always so uplifting & inspiring! Thanks for being an AWESOME sister-in-law & great example to me!!!

    ReplyDelete