I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~

Monday, August 1, 2011

A Good Old Blanding 4th of July

There is no place on the earth that our family would rather be for the 4th of July than Blanding, UT. We look forward to it each summer.
The weekend started on Saturday with the Will and Hattie Guymon family reunion: 100 years in Blanding. It was a neat day spent with family from all over. They did a neat tribute program to the family, but it was a little long for my little ones, so this is how we kept them entertained.

It's amazing how entertaining a hat and a pair of sunglasses can be!

Here are the kids at their Grandma Guymon's headstone at the Blanding cemetary.

At the Will and Hattie Guymon cabin. We are so proud of all the hard work our Grandpa Gary has put in to restoring it.

Grandpa telling a story about when he was 4, so he had Brennen come up so everyone could see how big 4 is.

Cambree had a blast playing in the cabin, but I had a hard time getting a picture of her because she wouldn't hold still!

Brennen and his cousin Karlie sure had a fun time together!

On Saturday the kids had the opportunity to ride on the Guymon family float in the parade. Tyson and Cambree decided not to. (Well Tyson decided. Mom decided for Cambree.) So here they are with their balloon animals waiting for the parade to start.

Aubree riding the float with cousins Crystal and Karlie.

Kaden on the float. You can kind of see Brennen if you look close. He was hiding under the wagon. He told me after it was the only place to sit that wasn't hot. (I'm sure it didn't hurt that there were cookies under there either!)

After the parade and other festivities, the kids decided they wanted to go to the Bluff fort. It was a holiday, so most of it was closed, but we were still able to walk around the grounds.

Cambree saw me taking a picture of the plaque, and decided she needed to be in the picture.

We really had a fun weekend in Blanding and can't wait til next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment